Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I am here....barely.....

If you've had your head in the sand and not listened to the news, then you know it's been a rough month to live in the Boston area.

Up until January 23rd we really hadn't had much snow (except maybe if you consider the white Thanksgiving we had!). I had been running outside and was excited to continue doing so all winter long. We had some snow that day but the next morning I ran 7 miles outside in slush and ice and I tried my yacktracks. But then came Monday the 26th and the first of FOUR storms where we've gotten more than a foot - one of which was 2 1/2 feet! One or two which were blizzards (I can't remember if this past storm eventually was categorized as a blizzard). My kids had 4 snow days in less than 2 weeks and a 5th last week. They are on vacation now, a vacation they don't need - they are at each other's throats and driving us crazy.

I did manage to get 1 run in outside about 10 days ago - it was only 3 miles. But other than that it is just too dangerous because the roads are to narrow and even if you do run in the road, you can't jump off the road because the snowbanks are so high. I was signed up for 2 races this weekend - a 3 miler and a 7 mile leg of a marathon relay, both of which were cancelled because the roads are too bad. The relay was outright cancelled. The 3 miler is postponed to mid-April. Who knows if the 4 and 5 miler will get in. There isn't any melting going on so the roads aren't getting any better.

And let's not even talk about how all of this has affected my eating. Out.Of.Control. I sware everyone in Boston has gained 10 pounds in the last month. Stress, aggrivation, depression, boredom, annoyance, everything.

I dream of getting back outside running. I just hate the treadmill. I don't feel like my stride is right. I am afraid of getting hurt. Outside is where I love to be. But I need to start getting miles in. 1/2 training will officially start in a month, but I need to be running 6-7 mile long runs on the weekend.

On a good note, we booked a cruise for April of 2016 so something wonderful to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment