I keep trying to think about 2014 when I loved running and what has happened since then to change my mind. Some thoughts are:
1) For the most part I was running on completely flat ground (rail trail)
2) Training for my 1st half meant new distances to look forward to
3) I was 30 lbs lighter
4) I was running on my own - no one to answer to
5) I wasn't waking up at 4:30 in the morning which meant more sleep (which can have an effect on #3)
6) I ran a ton of races, most of which included bling, so I had things to look forward to
2015 brought more weight gain, of the few races I did not many had bling, and I had to drop out of too many races, and I was running actual terrain (which is harder anyways, even harder when you gain weight).
But it is 2016 now, 2 months in. Losing weight isn't happening, but I CAN do something I enjoy. I can run more races, those that have bling, and I can try to have more control over where and when I run. I can't do that during the week because I am not going to run in the dark on my own. But I can take ownership of my long runs on Sundays (which were severely lacking after mid-May when I ran 13.1).
1) 1st Run 5k - January 1, 2016 - DONE
2) 3 Miler - February 28, 2016 - DONE
3) 4 Miler - March 6, 2016 - DONE
4) 5 Miler - March 13, 2016 - coming this weekend
Then I will continue to 6 miles and do 6-7 miles per weekend, even if it is flat, to prepare for my 10K
5) Star Wars 10K - April 16, 2016
May do a 5K on the Cruise
May run a local 5K the day after we return
6) 5 Miler Run to Remember - Memorial Day Weekend
7) BAA 10K - June 26 - I needed a June race and since I am not around for the BAA5K, I'll try it - It doesn't go on the Boston Marathon course, but still will be fun
8) Finish on the 50 5K - July 3, 2016 - This ends on the 50 yard line of Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots - I've wanted to do this for a few years, but it has been on a weekday the last few years and hard to get to after work with holiday traffic - this year is a Sunday so I figure this is the year to do it
9) local 5K I've done the last 2 years - mid-July
10) Beach to Beacon 10K - Registration is this week and sells out in 4 minutes - I hope I get in! If not, I may forego an August race
11) local 5K - September
12) 6.66 race - Salem, MA - end of October - I've had 2 DNS with this race - I really want to try it!
13) turkey trot - day after Thanksgiving
14) ??????1/2 Marathon in early December - I won't decide until the summer or later - I'd need to up my mileage in September, but not drastically so until October. It is a hilly course, but has a nice late date to allow minimal summer training.
I was supposed to run this morning - I went to bed early and when I woke up a few people had bailed at 4 am so I expected the 1 remaining person (who acknowledged at 4 am she knew they were bailing but never said what she was going to do) bailed too - after all I was a definite to join. So I am planning another early bed hour.