Monday, August 11, 2014

Spartan Race = Sore

I am on the mend from my cold, but not 100%. But right no my whole body feels like hell. But more on that later.

After a day of eating poorly on Thursday (I went out to lunch with a friend and ate a bigger burrito than normal, and had a shake in addition to water; then that night was my daughter's 8th birthday celebration - pasta (and seconds), garlic bread, salad, cake and ice cream), I turned it around on Friday.

We were going to the beach on Saturday and I still wasn't sure if I was going to wear my bikini, so I didn't want to be bloated. Plus I thought maybe I would go to WW on Saturday. So I had my typical Friday meals - normal food during the day, PB&J and a piece of fruit for dinner.

Scale on Saturday said 181.8 so off to WW I went (I had already decided that a run on Saturday morning as not a good idea - I wanted to be my best for Sunday). It felt great to be back under 50 lbs lost.

We had a fun day at the beach - in the end I chose not to wear my bikini. Mainly for the burn factor. My stomach hasn't seen sun in years - I didn't want to risk being burned for Sunday. We only stayed for 3.5 hours because we had tickets for AAA baseball at 5:00. The kids got to dress up as superheroes and parade around the field.

Sunday would be a pretty big unknown. Me and my friend were signed up for the 'Biggest Loser Off Road Challenge', which means that you are running a Spartan Race but didn't have to do 30 burpees for each failed obstacle, and they shaved off 1.3 miles (but no obstacles). The only downside was that we had to wear the Biggest Loser shirts to prove we didn't have to do burpees. The shirts were way too big which don't help when covered in mud.

The experience was wonderful, but I am hurting big time today. But a good hurt - a hurt I haven't felt in a long time. I tried all obstacles, albeit a lot with help, didn't succeed at a ton of them, conquered a lot of fears, and had a lot of fun...until the last 30 minutes when we had to crawl/roll under barbwire for 100 yards - it made me feel so nauseous and I continued to feel so until I went to bed. And I fell right near the end, so now have some nasty, painful scrapes on my palms, knees and elbows. And a blister on my heel which will feel me out of sneakers for a while.

After the race reminded me of why I gained weight while training for Mt Rainier. To try to get rid of the nausea and dizziness, I ate a ton and ate crap food for the rest of the day. I did this after my day-long training hikes....but I also ate like crap the whole next day as well, which I am trying not to do today!

No comments:

Post a Comment