Monday, June 25, 2018

Summer Routine

It's been a long 2 weeks and pretty hectic.

Thursday June 14, after dentist and orthodontist appointments, me and the kids drove to NYC. It was the first time driving in the city (not that I had to drive that far into the city) without another adult, but my almost-12-year-old was a great help!

We spent 3 fun filled days - we walked 35 miles!! (13.5 of them in 1 day - though we did have a 3 hour break in the afternoon). The first day was perfect weather, the 2nd day a little hotter, and the third day (the day we were leaving, so we were on the road by 2:00) was hot as heck. But we had a blast! I ate pretty well, and while I didn't get a ton of sleep, overall I was thrilled with the trip.

Last week was exhausting though. We got home at 7:00 pm Sunday and I was in bed at 9:00. All day Monday I was in client meetings and after work as well - I finally left the restaurant at 8:40, just as our food was arriving (we have been there for over an hour!) and my head hit the pillow at 9:05! Tuesday I had more client meetings, had to run out to get to a hair appointment, and then run to a softball game (the season that kept on going....until that night, in the semi-finals). I was supposed to do some work, but was too tired (and when I checked on Wednesday - which was supposed to be a day off, they were okay with me not doing the work until the evening).

I had Wednesday - Friday off - the kids got out for the summer mid-day Thursday. Immediately my son and husband took off to Maine until Saturday. And my daughter went to a pool party that turned into an overnight, so I had an unexpected night to myself. But I wasn't feeling great last week, so my days off were pretty low-key and a lot of time relaxing on the couch (and eating like crap :( ). But I did get the majority of my organizing done so I feel pretty good going into the summer.

Sunday I took my daughter to overnight camp for 4 weeks. And today was my son's first day of day camp (it is his 5th year going and when my daughter gets back from overnight camp, it will be her 6th year going). So we have started our 8 week summer routine.

I am going to TRY to work out in the mornings.
The time me and my son will leave will remain the same as during the school year (8:00)
He gets up at 7:15
I get in the shower at 6:45

Up until March, I had been sleeping until 6:45 (with the occasional running at 5 am). Since March I've been getting  up at 6:00 to assist my daughter getting up and getting ready (she wasn't getting up, my husband was supposed to help and it was just a battle) and then I get in the shower when he and she would leave.

With needing to be available from 6:00 on, I wasn't working out in the morning. I am going to experiment with workout out this summer - I've set my alarm for 5:30 on Tuesday and Thursday and 4:30 on Wednesday and Friday (with the hopes of getting back to running with a friend) and Mondays I get to sleep in until 6:30.

I am hoping that in the fall that I won't be needed, but I have little faith that will happen. But even if I could not be available until 6:15 (ie help her with breakfast and lunch and getting out the door, but not helping her get up), that could allow some time to work out. But I really don't want is to have to get up before 5:30 those days in order to be done by 6:00.

A negative of the summer routine is not getting in the steps going to the bus stop.  I've been literally sitting at my desk since 9:00 (not a typical day - but since I'm just back from PTO, I've got a lot of meetings and emails) and here at 11:30 I am at 994 steps!!!!

Another negative is having to actually be in the office until 4:45 - But  I packed my afternoon snacks again and I should be able to get in more step breaks. Today isn't a typical day.

The evenings will be interesting. I don't get home until 5:45 - 6:00. In years past, my husband would have dinner waiting for us (though I would be the one to decide on the meal). Based on his behavior this whole school year, I doubt that will happen (he will get home at 4:30 and most likely will spend that time to do yard work and his own work out). But I will have to talk to him - Me and my son will be starving (I eat my snack at 3:30).

I also want to do stuff in the evenings (another reason to get dinner done with quickly) - There is very little TV on in the summer, so no excuse to be outside or go out and do stuff. 

This week won't be completely normal. My husband is having his first colonoscopy on Thursday, so meals and evening will be a-typical. Next week with the 4th being on Wednesday, we will be busy earlier in the week as our town has a 4 days 4th celebration.

And the best part is at the end of this, another vacation - a relaxing vacation!!!!



1 comment:

  1. It will take a week or so,but that routine will fall into place pretty quickly!! :-)

    ReplyDelete