Monday, September 15, 2014

Long Sunday

Friday night and Saturday were pretty productive, since I knew we had a busy Sunday ahead of us and I knew I would be tired.

Friday evening I went grocery shopping, put it away, threw together dinner for the kids, drove my daughter to a birthday party, went to BJs, went home and put everything away, went to pick her up, headed home and fell asleep. Tired!

I didn't go to Weight Watchers on Saturday - After my ridiculously bad week of eating and knowing we needed to get an early start, I wanted to sleep in just a tiny bit!  We need to leave by 9:15 to go my daughter's soccer game. The game was followed by errands, a late lunch, and tons of running around the house in the afternoon to get ready for the week - stuff I normally do on Sunday but I knew I wouldn't have the time or desire. After a big pasta dinner, I was off to bed.

The original plan was to do 11 miles. I ended up with 11.6. The run was one of the most fantastic of my life!!!!  It was 48 degrees when I started out - beautiful and crisp, low humidity. And I ran...and ran...and ran. Definitely not fast but I actually was running, not the slogging along like my 2 10-mile runs in 97% humidity.
 I worked on my nutrition a little bit. I had a bag of caffeine sport beans 15 minutes before (I had had a whole wheat waffle PB&J sandwich at home).  I wore capris and a short sleeve shirt because that is most likely what my outfit will be in 3 weeks for race day. I wore my camelbak. I had 3 salted caramel GU along the route - around 3, 6 and 9 miles. I didn't necessarily need the one at 9 miles for this run, but I wanted to mimic race day. 

I ran an easy 7 miles, picked up the pace for 7-10, and ran a little faster the last 1.6 miles, but not as fast as I would have liked. Over all I finished in 2:19. I have definitely resigned myself that I will not finish in under 2:30.

I am not sure what I will do next week. I know in my heart I should stick to 12 miles, but if the weather is like yesterday, I know I may try to go for 13.1. I think I am going to wear my sunglasses and a visor next week as practice. The race is next to the ocean, so no shade and even though the race starts at 8 am, I am not used to running in sun at all, so I think I will wear a visor to minimize the sun on my face.

I definitely did not drink enough water during the run. I was a little shocked by how much water was still in the Camel Bak when I got home. Within an hour of being home, we had to leave to go to my kid's first obstacle race.

It was a long walk from the car to the venue (on a farm) and then being out in the sun for 2 hours (during which I didn't drink anything) and walking on uneven terrain, I was wiped out. I came home and lay on the couch for the rest of the afternoon. Next Sunday I am doing NOTHING all day after my run. I may even try an ice bath too!

TOM arrived this morning - 25 days. Last month was 28. The 3-4 months before were 24.  At least I will be out of the woods for the race. Whatever the next 2 cycles bring, I am pretty much guaranteed to have it in Disney. I'll take it during Disney over a race any day!

I am really going to try to do better with my eating this week. I have bananas for the mornings, we aren't eating anything out of the ordinary, so hopefully I can turn it around.

No comments:

Post a Comment