Monday, September 1, 2014

Another 10 miles

I was very hesitant about this run knowing that it would be 70 degrees with a dew point of 70 - yep, 100% humidity. But I really wanted to get 10 miles done. Next weekend I have the Diva Dash on Saturday, which is only 3 miles, but I am not sure how I will be feeling for a long run.


Running was pretty lonely because most of the normal people probably had done their long runs over the weekend and were enjoying their Labor Day relaxing :)  I was having a hard time - the humidity wasn't that bad, but just the mental part of it. Plus I hadn't slept well - I really just wanted to be home in bed. I told myself I would turn around at 4 miles. It came and I kept going. But then I said I would turn around at 4.5 miles (at which point I have to cross a potentially fairly busy street), but I decided to just keep going to the end of the path (5 miles).


I decided to change up my music on the way back, but was having technical difficulties - it kept trying to shuffle all my music (and of course was trying to play classical Christmas music). And then tried to repeat the same song over and over. That is one of the reasons I like my vest so much better - easier access to my phone that an arm band.


I was trying to be conservative with my water, so only drank a little at each mile. At 45 minutes and 90 minutes I had a Salted Caramel Gu (I also had one before I ran, first time I did that).


After the second Gu I felt a little stronger, so I have a much better pace around mile 7, but slowed back down as the heat and sun were starting to increase. But I trucked along. Very slowly. No way I will finish a 1/2 in under 2:30 but I can live with that. I will be happy with just finishing. Though I did keep saying to myself that if the weather on October 5 is like today, I don't think I will attempt it. I run in a place that is 95% shaded. I don't think the course will be very shaded and I am very concerned about running that long in the sun. If it is warm, I will strongly consider not running. I would even consider running 13.1 on the bike path that morning!


1 comment:

  1. I saw, "Another 10 miles" and gasped. "WOW!". Good for you!!!

    I imagine in MA it will be a lot cooler in October, no? I finished my half last year in 2:36. Nothing wrong with over 2:30. Finishing is a great goal and you'll do fine.

    Isn't it interesting how you find yourself noticing things like GU giving you more energy when you run? I was amazed at all those little things I never knew (Because I never ran before). It was kind of fun to learn it all by experience and not just by reading.

    Have a great week! That race on Saturday will seem so easy to you after these long runs!! :)

    ReplyDelete