Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wednesday Morning Run

I have never been a fast runner - My 5K PR is 31:32. My 10K PR is 1:07. My 1/2 Marathon PR is 2:32. Those were all 5 years ago when I was 45 pounds less than I am today. Plus I've never run for speed (and I don't ever really plan on it). I run because it is me time, I enjoy the way it makes me feel. Huffing and puffing doesn't make me feel good at all.

Last Tuesday I ran 3 miles around my house. I don't know if it is the rolling out of bed and running, or the slight (very slight) elevation gains of the run, but I never run very fast from my house.

And Friday I ran 4.25 miles from the town center - I don't particularly like this route because it take me on busy roads, even at 6:00 am.

I was going to run yesterday but when I woke up and it was raining and 41 degrees, I decided to skip it. I was mad at myself for not running, but last night I decided I would head out today. I decided I wanted to run the flat 3 mile course from the town center. I hadn't run that course in a while, especially without stopping.

I tend to go out to fast - I always have. But I was still feeling good the next mile and when I saw it less time than the first, I wondered if I could possibly go for negative splits. I honestly don't know if I have ever - maybe occasionally, but it is never something I work for. But I did it! The last part of the 3rd mile was mentally tough - I just wanted it to be over! But I am pretty thrilled with myself!

Do I want to do negative splits all the time? No! I also don't want to get bored running - this month (my favorite, favorite month of the whole year!) I am going to concentrate on running 5-5.5 miles for my long run and then do just 1 other run which I will alternate with the flat 3 miler and a 3 miler that has hill repeats on it. Because I want to hike on the weekends,  I am going to do my 5 mile runs on Fridays.

I am just beyond excited to be back to running! Even though when I am running I keep saying "you are crazy to do another 1/2 marathon" but I am looking forward to obtaining the goals. Even though they are goals I've had before, it's been so long since I've had them, that they seem new to me.

Happy May!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your PR’s are still faster than my PR’s...so I think you are a speed demon!!!

    I miss running. I need to make time for it!!!!

    ReplyDelete