Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The good and the bad

The good since last Thursday is that I have gotten up the last 2 mornings at 5:30 am to walk on the treadmill. Nothing fast - max of 2.7 and 2.8 mph, but I did it for 45 minutes, walking about 2 miles. Again, nothing stellar. But a whole lot more than I have been doing.

When I briefly worked out last spring, after 1 slow walk on the treadmill, I dove into the bike, and the Step video, and the exercise videos. It was too much, too quickly. Having 2 small children, you are often so tired and I just couldn't phathom doing those things exhausted. But you can walk, even so slowly, when you are tired. Last night my 18 month old son was up screaming from teething, at midnight. I had already been asleep for over an hour and a half. I was tempted to turn the alarm off right then and there. But I made myself still get up and face the music. I can do this. I really can do this.

The bad is some really poor food choices over the last week, which will probably result in a gain tomorrow. A gain in a week when I was hoping to lose at least a pound or 2 so I can make my 10% next week.

I can plan meals out really well - I can look at the menu, I can decide before hand what I will have. But the unplanned meals out, I don't do very well at. Hence, the onion rings with my salad on Saturday. But I still didn't have any soda. And the next day when we drove through McDonalds and I was starving, I still only got a cheeseburger, a small fries (of which half I gave to my daughter) and a bottled water. I could have easily gotten a Big Mac, large fries and a large soda. And Monday I was really exhausted having been up half the night with my son, so despite making some good food choices at home, there was a lot of snacking and nibbling and tasting.

But I think in this week, the good really does outweigh the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment