Monday, July 15, 2013

6 mile Sunday!

I headed out planning on doing 5.25 - 5.5 miles. .25 miles per week has been my normal increase, but .5 miles would be a true 10%. I went with my normal running friend and she was planning on doing 6 because she is pretty sure she's going to start training for a 1/2 in October. Our original plan was for me to turn around when I wanted to and run the rest by myself. I made it slightly further than where we had turned around last week and when I looked at my phone it said 2.92 miles! Woops! She turned around with me (she starts her tracking when we get on the trail, even though we walk for a little bit) so her Nike+ said over 3.0. After a little while I knew I needed to slow down so I told her to go ahead. It was humid, even at 8 am and since I was on track to increase my distance 20%, I knew I needed to slow down.

I ended up doing 5.99 miles in 1:17:49, an average pace of 12:59.

Next week I plan on doing 6.2 and then I'll figure out where to go from there. I need to concentrate more on speed. I want to see how fast I can actually do a 5K. I have the  Diva Dash in 8 weeks and then our town's 5K a couple weeks after that. Originally I was thinking of doing a 10K on Columbus Day, but now I am thinking of doing a 6.66 Devil's run the weekend before Halloween. I am planning on continuing to race after that (only 5Ks) - though there is a 3,4 and 5 mile races in February/March where all 3 medals fit together like a puzzle. And then next summer I want to do a couple real obstacle races. So that is the immediate plan!

We had neighbors over for dinner for the first time last night and today my stomach is feeling all squirrely (it had been a little over the weekend) so I am taking the day off to recuperate and mentally decompress.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the 6 mile run!!! That's awesome! I like your plan for races and such. I'm finding that having a race keeps me focused on making sure to get the runs in.

    Have a good week and I hope your tummy feels better quickly.

    ReplyDelete