Monday, April 10, 2017

Sunday was a perfect day

 I wish Sunday could have gone on forever!

Instead of waking up at 7:00 and running with the group (many who walk/run), I slept in until 8:30 ad at 9:15 headed out around my neighborhood. It was almost 50 when I headed out - so I wore a short sleeve shirt! The sun was bright so I had to wear sunglasses! I was in heaven! I had hoped for 4 miles, but since it was been 1 month to the day since I had run, and knowing we were going for a walk as a family, I decided 3 miles was okay.

I spent the rest of the morning getting our 4 backpack and hydration packs put together since they still had tags and in boxes from Christmas. After lunch we put on our new hiking shoes and socks and clothing (all except my husband who thought a cotton long sleeve shirt and jeans would be comfortable!) and headed to the reservoir down the street. It is about 2-2.5 miles around (if I can figure out how to use my new GPS, I would know!)


Having the kids carry their own water on their back is the best idea!


After the walk, I surveyed the lawn for other signs of spring. While we haven't done our spring clean-up yet (hello, a week ago there was snow in the ground!), there are a few signs

Being the real first nice weekend day of spring means the first grilling.

This one had no front teeth last summer, so corn is a lot easier to eat

 I am practicing with my real camera, so made the caprese salad look all pretty.


Not pictured is the chocolate cake my daughter picked out at the grocery store. The remains and the rest of the ice cream went in the trash after dinner (the rest of my family hates it when I throw away treats. Well, if they had will power like me (ie none!) then it would be a different story!

But now it is Monday. Another warm day, but not as sunny. Tomorrow is supposed to break records. The kids have 4 days of school this week, then Good Friday off and spring break next week. I am taking 3 days off next week so hopefully the weather cooperates!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been toying with getting a hydration pack...it would be fabulous for hiking and long bike rides. (and running should I ever try my hand at a half marathon again). Water bottles are annoying and bulky!!!!

    What kind did you end up getting for everyone....are you happy with them???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got back-packs at REI that could hold a hydration pack (vs a backpack by Camel-Bak) and then bought the bladders separately. I bought a Nathan running vest a few years ago and hated the bladdar that it came with, so immediately bought a Camel-Bak bladdar to use with it. I did also buy the drying and cleaning kit so they don't get nasty :)

      Even though it was just a short hike, I think it will be so much easier. Easier on Mom and Dad's back! And less stopping to have to get water.

      The only issue I foresee is not being able to know how much water is left! I learned that early on when running. But I won't be able to easily monitor the kid's water usage, so hopefully they won't run out! When we are in the extreme heat this summer we will also carry extra water in our packs just in case.

      Delete