Saturday, February 9, 2013

The things I miss!

Way back when I used to be an outdoorsy person. I dated someone for 7 years and one of the factors that lead to our breakup was me wanted to get outdoors more and he wanted to stay inside and play with his computer.

After we broke up I rode my mountain bike and street bike a lot and went rollerblading. Typical "inner city" 20-something outdoor activities.

I had dreamed about rock climbing a lot. I joined the Rock Gym (indoors) and eventually took an outdoors class where I met my next serious boyfriend of 2 years. While I did gain a lot of weight 25 lbs (went from 132 to 157 - mainly due to an insane commute when I moved in with him), we did a ton outdoors - camping, rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, winter hiking, ice climbing, and snow shoeing. Though the outdoorsy part actually was part of why we broke up - With my insane commute, I wasn't able to get anything done during the week, but he was okay with being away a lot on the weekends, either overnight or just out all day doing stuff outdoors. I needed more downtime.

After we broke up I kept up the outdoors stuff to a degree. In 2002 I trained to climb Mt Rainier - I hiked every single Saturday from March until the trip in August. I gained 17 lbs (from 150 - 167) because the rest of the time I was working insane hours and "carbo-loading" (way too much!) I missed rock climbing, but I didn't have anyone to go with. But by the time the trip was over, I was so burnt out from hiking that I never went back to it. I gained 5 more pounds so I was 172 when I started dating my husband in the fall of 2002, and I went a 180 in being outside.

But I miss it so much! Today I went snowshoeing for the first time in 11 years!

I also miss:
Rock climbing
Hiking
Winter hiking
Cross Country Skiing
Snowboarding/Skiing
Kayaking
Swimming

When I started C25K in September 2011, that was the first time I had done something that exerted so much energy so fast. Sure hiking works your lungs and is a fantastic workout, but you aren't exerting yourself in the same way as running.

I think I prefer hiking :) Though I like running because you don't have to spend a lot of time doing it and thus leaves a lot of time for other things.

One thing I was reminded yesterday that I don't like is Yoga. I know it is good for you and a good addition to cardio and weight training, but to be in work out clothes and moving so slowly is so boring to me! Too much time for me to be thinking about all the other stuff I want/need to be doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment