Friday, December 24, 2010

My father ruined my Christmas dinner

My parents have a big issue with me and my brother being overweight. We were never overweight as kids - both of us gained a lot of weight after we turned 30. But in the last 10 years my parents have lost weight (not that they needed to to begin with). My dad is the one who told me on Thanksgiving when I was 24 that I needed to lose weight - I was 139 lbs - yes I had gained 10 lbs in the last year. 5 days later I joined WW for the first time. My parents don't have any of our wedding pictures up because I know they are disappointed I weighed 184 when I got married. They couldn't believe that I showed my bare stomach during my maternity shots - obviously they didn't want any.

I will say my mom did tell my how proud she was of me when I told her I had hit the 25 lb mark.

So tonight, as my dad and I were plating the food for Christmas dinner, he asked me if the kids would actually eat anything. I was saying 'I wish I could be like them and just not eat anything at meals' and then he went on a 10 minute narration about how I need to lose weight and how he did and how easy it is and how you have to get through the plateaus.

I just stood their horrified. Christma Eve dinner is my favorite meal of the whole year. Thankfully I didn't actually let him ruin the meal for him, but I didn't really say anything to him for the rest of the night. I had seconds of dinner. I fully enjoyed the dessert I worked my heart out on. Oh yeah, and the red wine was my best friend.

Gotta love parents. And to top it off, he had no clue that he was hurting my feelings - and if he did, maybe he thought a holiday, my favorite holiday, would somehow all of a sudden make me drop 50 lbs in 3 months (and I say 50 lbs because I know once I hit 149 lbs there is no way that they will think it is enough)

But despite my father being an ass on Christmas Eve, I won't let it completely ruin my holiday.

Merry Christmas to all!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Gosh, Jesseybell..I'm sorry to read this. I hope tomorrow brings you more kind comments.

    ReplyDelete