Sunday, January 8, 2017

5 Mile Treadmill Workout Done!

I was supposed to run 5 miles outside with a friend, but with the snow not having stopped until after midnight last night, the roads weren't going to be very clear. Plus it was 7 degrees with a feel of 4, so no way I was going to.

I didn't set an alarm but work up around 7:45. I ate a whole wheat waffle with raspberry jam and waited an hour. For runs of 5+ miles I need to eat something first. And anything over 7 miles, I eat during the run as well.

After kicking the kids out of the basement, I put on the movie "Fever Pitch" which is a great movie for Boston sports fans.

I finished the 5 miles in 1:04:34. I was happy to be less than 1:05. I tried to speed it up a little at the end but I was definitely getting tired, physically and mentally. Once the running was over, movie was still going on, so I walked extremely slowly (3.2 mph) for another 1.5 miles until the movie was over.

 
I kept thinking about how in May 2015 I ran a 5 miler in 55 minutes (that was the race I was supposed to run a 1/2 but I dropped down). I don't think I can get back there by this May but my goal will be 1:00. After I finished the run I signed up for the race again. This is the same race that I had to bag out of last year because I had been out in the sun in 100 degrees the day prior, and even though I drank water like crazy and ate well, I woke up at 4:30 am and almost fell down on the way to the bathroom because I was so dizzy. While I want to spend a lot of time with my family this year, I also need to take the time for myself that was so lacking last year (because I spent so much time away from them helping my mom clean out the house).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment