Thursday, January 17, 2019

2019 Plans to Run

In September 2011, when I did C25K for the first time, but the time I got to the long runs I decided to run outside and immediately got bronchitis because it was so cold.

In March 2013, when I did C25K for the 2nd time, as soon as I hit the 20 minute run I started running outside because it was now becoming spring.

Now, I am not sure of my plan. As of today, January 17, 2019, there is no snow on the ground but that is going to change this Friday or Sunday so the treadmill could be my friend for the foreseeable future :( But better than nothing!

I am scheduled to run 20 minutes on Saturday January 26 and Thursday January 31 is my last interval run - from there on out the runs are 25 minutes or longer.

If I keep with the plan, I will be complete on Saturday February 23rd with the last 30 minute run.

So where from there?

I want to keep up the 30 minute runs 2x a week and then a long run on the weekend during which I will increase my time (this time I am going strictly on time, not distance). I am going to be very conservative with my increases. So the plan is to increase by 3-5 minutes weekly all the way until mid-May when I will get to 70 minutes.

I may or may not sign up for a 5 mile race over Memorial Day weekend which I've done a few times.

And continue to concentrate on 5 miles until we go on our trip in June. For the most part I am planning that these long runs (time and distance) will be on Saturdays so Sundays can be reserved for hikes and other family outdoor activities.  I will not be giving up Weight Watchers to do these longer runs. It also means I won't get to make many trips to my favorite rail trail (which is a 25 minute drive away), but that is okay - those can come after our trip in the summer/fall.

Then the plan would be to after our trip in July I'd pick up my mileage a bit, and slowly, to get it up to 7 miles. I may sign up for a 10K in August and September. I'll also continue hiking as we are planning a big hike in Vermont in October. And then I'd be so kick-ass at 6-7 miles and I could start 1/2 marathon training in November. So that is the PLAN. I like having a PLAN! And I WILL get excited for every single "new to me in a while" distance because I haven't run longer (ie even a mile!) distance without walking in a long time.

This gradual increase and not worrying about distance (ie not worry about speed) will also be conducive to weight loss.

I do want to incorporate other exercise, but for now, this is the RUNNING plan! I like this plan!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment