Monday, January 7, 2019

My story.....Obese since 2003

When I started dating my husband in December 2002 I was 172 pounds. That is 18 pounds over the "normal" BMI/WW weight of 154 for my height. I had started the year as a "normal" weight but by spring I was overweight. But by the beginning of the following year I would be obese, not to venture back into "overweight" except for a few short periods of time over the next 16+ years.

When we started dating, I was burnt out. Burnt out from working 12 hour days. Burnt out from house repairs. Burnt out from training for months at an end. I was ready to relax. My husband's eating habits were horrible. He liked to eat dinner at 9:00 at night. I'd go home because he didn't get home until 7:00 and then we'd meet up and I'd end up having a second dinner. And staying up late and drinking way more than I was used to, all I know is by the time I got back from France in early June 2003, I was 196 pounds.

August 2003

June 2004 - Newly engaged


In May 2004 we got engaged - I was 184 lbs by then and didn't lose any weight in the year before our wedding.

May 2005 Wedding
Hawaii honeymoon


Since I was almost 35 when we got married, we weren't going to wait to have kids. Honeymoon, work stress, stress of the thought of getting pregnant, I was 206 in November 2005 when I did get pregnant.

Last picture before I got pregnant - November 2005


I felt so ill my first trimester that all I wanted to eat was Ritz crackers and pasta for the first 13 weeks. And the last trimester was summer and I over indulged with ice cream. My last weigh-in at the OB I saw 249 on the scale. To this day I've told myself I don't ever want the scale to say 24_, which is part of why I'm lighting a fire under myself now.

2 weeks before she was born - July 2006


I seem to recall that I pretty quickly got back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 206, but when I stopped breastfeeding (at 6 months) the weight quickly came back on to 216.

I joined WW At Work that spring and pretty quickly lost I think 20 pounds, so got under 200 (Time #1)

Her 1st birthday - I got pregnant again a month later


I got pregnant again at the end of August 2007. I had the same 1st trimester food aversions and gained weight my first trimester. Unfortunately we lost the pregnancy at 13 weeks in November 2007. I was pretty desperate to get back to that pre-pregnancy weight as quickly as possible. I know I was about 196 at Christmas time.

July 2008 - I was pregnant again and didn't know it yet


I wasn't in a huge rush to get pregnant again, despite my age, and I was stressed about getting pregnant again, so I was 206 when I got pregnant again. Again I gained about 10 pounds in the first trimester. I was on modified bed rest from Weeks 22-25 and 28-36. I was very concerned about weight gain, so I really watched what I ate so I probably lost some weight. My last weight in at 39 weeks was 231. So yes, right now I am the same weight as I was 9 months pregnant.

March 2009 - 1 week before he was born


Same thing happened with my son - pretty easily got down to 206 (pre-pregnancy) and re-gained once I stopped breastfeeding. I was 216 at his first birthday (March 2010)  and joined WW At Work the next week.

March 2010 - His 1st birthday


In 11 months on WW I went from 216 to 181 - 35 pounds. (in Onderland time #2)

March 2011 - His 2nd birthday
 

At that time life took a turn in my husband got laid off from our company in March 2011 . We chose for him to stay home for 10 months to further his education on-line. Obviously money was a stress. We had always planned on moving in Spring 2012 and I was devastated to think that might not happen. I also asked my husband that I would like him to come up with new ideas to add to our menu planning. He chose to come up with these elaborate, not healthy meals. 2 meals in 10 months got added. I felt like I was at a restaurant and also felt like I needed to eat a lot because he had worked so hard. And then in January 2012 we figured that if he got a job in the next month, we could still feasibly move in spring/summer 2012. 2012 was spent with the stress of getting our townhouse ready to sell, finding a new house, moving, having 2 mortgages for 3 months, and settling into a town where we knew no one. At to top it off, we lost my mother-in-law in November 2012. In a period of 20 months I had regained the 35 lbs I had lost + 15 more. I was 231 when I re-joined WW on December 2012.

New Year's Day 2012- My 3rd 5K before taking a 13 month break from running

One of the "ah-ha" moments from Disney - November 2012 - 2 weeks later I re-joined WW


I lost 35 lbs in the first year (in Onderland time #3) and in July 2014 I received my 50 lb charm.

2014 was a fantastic year from a exercise stand point. I ran 21 races - I PRed 5K (31:30) and 10K (1:07) and ran my only official 1/2 marathon (2:32:30). But it was also the year we lost my father-in-law and my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I had pledged that I wasn't going to let his illness affect my health. Late September 2014, 2 weeks before my 1/2 marathon, I saw the scale hit 180. That was the beginning of the "end".

December 2013

March 2014 - His 5th birthday

1/2 Marathon - October 2014

Disney November 2014


When I gain weight I do it in leaps and bounds:

  • In the 2 weeks after my 1/2 marathon I gained 5 pounds
  • On November 1st we spent 9 days in Disney - another 5 pounds
  • In January/February my dad's healthy really started to decline (adding to that, we had an Armageddeon of a winter in February and March) and on May 4th he was gone. I was probably about 200 at that point. We had lost 3 parents in 2 1/2 years.
  • I rejoined WW in September 2015 at 203 lbs. But then I got bronchitis and was sick for a month - Next thing I knew I was 215 pounds by Christmas. And then I got bronchitis AGAIN in late January. By President's Day I was 224. Also during this time we were closing down my parents house, a process which took 18 months. While I missed my dad, packing up my childhood house was devastating. Life was in turmoil - my weekends were not my own, I was at my mom's house every Sunday, my house was a mess from all the stuff I was bring home. I did a 3-day Cleanse during President's Day vacation and saw 219.
  • The "good news" was that from February 2016 - August 2017 my weight was pretty stable - I fluctuated from 219-224. In that period of time we remodeled our basement and family room and basic normal family and work stress.
  • In August 2017 we went on a fantastic 2 week vacation Out West to Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. I hated all the pictures of me. Every.single.one. I gained a few pounds during the vacation, but dropped back to 224. But that fall my weight bounded back up to 231. I can't remember the exact time frame, but knowing me, 7 lbs probably came on in a month.
  • I joined WW again at the beginning of 2018 and went diligently for 3 months, losing 5 lbs in the process. But I stopped going at the end of March 2018 because I was frustrated. I would lose the first 2 weeks of my cycle and then regain. It was just a viscious cycle. I have this fear that "perimenopause" won't let me lose weight, but at the same time I know if I don't lose it now, I never will be able to.

August 2015 - Back to 200

April 2016 - Disney Cruise - About 220

Arches National Park - August 2017

Back in front of the fountain at Disney - 50 lbs heavier

So here I am back where I started, or a little more. 233.2 on my scale on Saturday, 235.0 on WW scale.

But the fact that my weight had only fluctuated by 10-15 lbs in the last 3 years is not the worst thing in the world.

But now it is time to get it off again. 1 big pound at a time and if that means if takes 83 weeks, then it takes 83 weeks. In 83 weeks I will be 50.

1 comment:

  1. I could have sworn I responded to this....but when I came back to this screen on my phone there it was..and no response...eiiyiiyii!!

    It is so emotional for me to look at my ‘history’ in terms of my weight loss and regains! But it is so important because it reminds me of how awesome I felt..physically and emotionally when I got rid of all of this excess weight!!!

    Everything leading up to now was just ‘lessons’ to prepare us for the right here and now!!! And in the right here and now we are going to rock this year and reach our goals! We’ve got this!!!

    ReplyDelete