Sunday, January 30, 2011

When the eating is ugly, go running

My eating has been pretty ugly since Thursday. I was successful with just getting a burrito on a low-carb tortilla on Friday. But since I hadn't gone grocery shopping and we had zero food in the house, instead of throwing a frozen pizza in the oven Friday night with no vegetables to go with it, I decided that the whole family should test out the new McDonalds in town. I only have McDonalds maybe 4 times a year and almost never to sit down. I didn't grow up with fast-food and fast-food really didn't play a part in me gaining weight. I don't want to deprive my kids of it - I just don't want it to be a habit. We had a McDonalds and they tore it down and built a new one. I couldn't have had a cheeseburger and small fries, but instead I got a Big Mac and the regular fries. No soda though.

Saturday I had Slim Fast AND a granola bar as we ran out the house to my daughter's dance recital. We had time to burn between the recital and her skating lesson so we went to Dunkin Donuts. I had a donut and 3 Munchkins despite the Fiber One bar in my purse. Lunch was a ham and cheese sandwich, with chips, snacks was picking throughout the afternoon, and dinner was what will become our annual "thank god winter is 1/2 way over" celebration of spaghetti (and garlic bread) and cake and ice cream. Spaghetti was a huge, huge contributor to me gaining weight. But since we usually have it on Wednesdays, the night before weigh-in, I have been very good at eating a small amount. But before dinner was even served, I decided I was going to indulge. Not to the point of feeling stuffed. But to be honest, it felt really nice to not care but not feel so full I was miserable. I even had a second serving of ice cream after the kids went to sleep so I could savor it.

I woke up this morning feeling achy. Not I'm-getting-sick-achy, but my arms hurt because we had to rake snow off our roof to try to prevent ice damns (the unit next to us had severe damage 2 years ago from ice dams). I love the feeling of having achy arms!

My daughter and I tried to go swimming but when we got there we found there was a meet going on so the pool was closed. I was itching to get some sort of exercise, so I hit the treadmill. I originally planned on just walking for 45 minutes. But as soon as I got on I decided I was going to go for a 5K. I had the time. But at my slow pokey pace of 3.2 mph max it was going to take forever. So I decided to do some intervals of jogging (and a whopping 4.0 for 90 seconds) Including the warm-up, the 5K took me 55 minutes - My last interval I did at 5.0 - my pants almost fell down :) I am not sure where I will go with it - If I am going to be on the treadmill I have to get my heart rate up and in order to do that I need to at least jog some of the time. But the treadmill has never been my favorite form of hard cardio - Biking and Step I enjoy more. But I will try it occasionally and see what happens.

We have a tv on our top floor where I am wasting money each week paying for a cable box - I think I need to get the guy out to move it downstairs (I am not sure if the cable downstairs is even working) so I can watch DVRed shows down there or do On Demand videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment